Thursday, January 22, 2009

Heroes

I wanted to share an essay that my son Justin had to write for english class. He is a senior in high school and had to write an essay on heroes. He chose Donnie. I don't know what kind of grade he will make but it doesn't matter. It got an A with us. His essay is below, just as he wrote it.

Heroes

Heroes have always been the pinnacle of man-kinds imagination. The eight century’s heroes, like Beowulf, often had supernatural powers. Although most people idolize heroes like Spiderman and Superman, my hero is my dad, Donnie Reynolds. He always shows such qualities as bravery, selflessness and strength.

Cancer is one of the scariest diagnosis that anyone can hear. My Dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer over a year ago and still continues to fight on. When the chemotherapy at a local hospital was not yielding the results he needed, he started driving himself to Houston, Texas for all of his treatments. I do not know how he does the extraordinary things he does but he is the bravest person I know.

Selflessness is another one, of the many, great traits my dad possesses. When he met my mom he gave up the chance of having children “of his own” but instead loved us the way a real father should. When my mom asked him if that was what he wanted he said, “We already have kids.” He took on raising my two sisters and I like we were his own. Another time that my dad showed selflessness was when my truck kept breaking down. He bought me a new one so if anything happened; he knew that I had been taken care of. He did not worry about the financial problems he would have to face, he just wanted me to have what I needed.

Though my dad is brave and selfless, his greatest quality is his strength. My dad gets up and goes to work, regardless of how his chemo makes him feel, because he wants to do what is best for our family. His strength is not just physical but mental as well. In the face of cancer, he still stands and fights because he loves his family.

My dad’s bravery, selflessness and strength are the glue that holds our family together. Very seldom do you find a man with the great qualities my father has. No matter what happens he can always know he has been the greatest hero ever.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Bravo! A definite A+++ as you have described your Dad's heroism so eloquently.
As you say, it is truly amazing just how cancer patients have such great strength and courage.
You could not have given your Dad a greater gift than this.

God Bless Everyone!
Debbie

Talisa said...

How tear jerking is this? What a hero your son is! to even realize how much of a hero Donnie is in his life. All I can say is you truly have a blessing in Donnie and Robin and your children.